Sun`s magnetic field close to flipping
Washington: Scientists have said that the Sun`s magnetic field will flip soon.
They said that Sun`s northern hemisphere`s polarity has already flipped, and the southern hemisphere should reverse its polarity soon.
Every 11 years or so, Sun`s two hemispheres` magnetic field reverse s their polarity, which creates a ripple effect that can be felt throughout the solar system.
Scientists working at Stanford University`s Wilcox Solar Observatory said that the sun is going through one of those flips in its cycle.
Todd Hoeksema, a solar physicist at Stanford said in a video about the polarity reversal that the sun`s poles are reversing, and this is a large-scale process that takes place over a few months, but it happens once every 11 years.
He said that what they`re looking at is really a reversal of the whole heliosphere, everything from the sun out past the planets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- NASA completes series of engine tests for next big rocket