Sun`s twin may be home to 9 alien planets
Washington: A sun-like star, which is already known to host five alien planets, may actually have nine full-fledged worlds, according to a new study.
If the planetary arrangement is confirmed, it would outnumber our own solar system and set a new record for the most populated system of extrasolar planets yet found.
The sun-like star, named HD 10180, is situated nearly 127 light-years away from Earth. In an earlier study that was published in August 2010, astronomers discovered five confirmed alien worlds and two planetary candidates.
Now a new study confirms both previous candidates in the HD 10180 system, and also indicates that two more planets could be orbiting the star.
This could bring the tally up to nine planets, asserted lead author Mikko Tuomi, an astronomer at the University of Hertfordshire in the U.K.
“The data indicates that there are not only seven but likely as many as nine planets in the system,” Tuomi said.
“The two new planets appear to have orbital periods of roughly 10 and 68 days and masses of 1.9 and 5.1 times that of Earth, which enables the classification of them as hot super-Earths, i.e. planets with likely scorchingly hot rocky surfaces.”
Tuomi re-analyzed observations collected between November 2003 and June 2010 by the planet-hunting HARPS spectrograph instrument, which is mounted on a 3.6-meter telescope at the European Southern Observatory in La Silla, Chile, Fox News reported.
Since the newly detected candidates are still unproven, more research is required to determine if they are bona fide planets, and not erroneous signals.
“While the existence of the larger of these two is well supported by the data, the signal corresponding to the smaller one exceeds the detection threshold only barely, which gives it a very small but non-eligible probability of being a false positive,” Tuomi added.
The study has been accepted for publication in the journal Astronomy and Astrophysics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad