Super-massive black holes found
Washington: Four super-massive black
holes, which are located more than a billion light years from
the earth, have been found.
These super-massive black holes observed by an
international team of scientists at the center of galaxies
will provide new information on how the central black hole
system operates, journal Astronomy and Astrophysics reported.
The scientists used world`s two largest optical/infrared
telescopes -- Keck -- on top of Mauna Kea in Hawaii to find
these black holes or dying stars which are called active
"Astronomers have been trying to see directly what
exactly is going on in the vicinity of these accreting
super-massive black holes," said co-author Robert Antonucci, a
UC Santa Barbara astrophysicist.
He explained that the nuclei of many galaxies show
intense radiation from X-ray to optical, infrared, and radio,
where the nucleus may exhibit a strong jet -- a linear feature
carrying particles and magnetic energy out from a central
super-massive black hole.
For the first time, the team observed a quasar with an
active galactic nucleus, as part of the group of four black
holes located more than a billion light years from the earth.
The team also used the United Kingdom Infrared Telescope
(UKIRT) to follow up the Keck observations, to obtain current
near-infrared images of the target galaxies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'