`Super-sharp` Earth imager satellite launched into space
London: DigitalGlobe recently launched the most powerful commercial imaging spacecraft WorldView-3 into the space from California, US.
The satellite would return pictures of the Earth`s surface down to a resolution of 31cm and until recently, the company was restricted to selling images sharper than 50cm only to the US government, the BBC reported.
There are still some security concerns over releasing such powerful imagery on to the open market. The US Commerce Department, which licenses American commercial satellite imagery providers, says DigitalGlobe must wait six months before putting out any 31cm products. This would give the authorities time to assess any unforeseen issues or sensitivities.
Its pictures would find wide application in areas such as scientific investigations, urban planning, forestry and agricultural monitoring, and in mineral exploration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why