Superfast stars racing through Milky Way found
New York: Astronomers have discovered six speedy stars, rocketing through space at up to 3.2 million kilometres per hour, which likely ejected from a giant black hole at the Milky Way`s heart.
They represent the first known "hypervelocity stars" with masses similar to that of our Sun.
The discovery could shed light on how stars form in the dust-shrouded core of our home galaxy.
The galactic centre is cloaked in a halo of dust that obscures all but the brightest stars from astronomers` telescopes, Space.Com reported.
But hypervelocity stars could provide a window into the star formation going on at the Milky Way depths.
That`s because hypervelocity stars are thought to form when the supermassive black hole at the centre of a galaxy devours one star in a binary system and ejects its twin, flinging it through space at superfast speeds, said study author Keith Hawkins, an astronomy student at Ohio University.
"These are incredibly fast-moving objects that are actually gravitationally unbound to the Milky Way," he said.
Though the stars may be close to the black hole, they are not shrouded by dust and can be detected with telescopes.
Since speedy rogue stars have been ejected from the galactic centre, identifying them can reveal the types of star formation occurring there.
But until now, astronomers searching for these hypervelocity stars looked for bright, blue stars in locations where they weren`t supposed to form.
Those stars, while easier to find, are typically three to four times as massive as our own Sun, while most stars forming in other regions of the galaxy are the size of our Sun or smaller, Hawkins said.
Hawkins and Adam Kraus, an astronomer at the University of Hawaii, used data from the Palomar 5-metre telescope in California.
They found 130 stars on the edges of the Milky Way`s central black hole that had travelled a remarkable distance. They then narrowed that group to stars travelling at extreme speeds consistent with ejection from the Milky Way`s centre. Six stars met those criteria.
While the new results are intriguing, they need to be confirmed, Hawkins said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon