`Supermom` galaxy giving birth to multiple stars found
Washington: Scientists have discovered a cosmic `supermom` galaxy that gives birth to about 740 new stars a year, far more than what ours does.
Astronomers used NASA`s Chandra X-Ray telescope to spot this distant gigantic galaxy creating about 740 new stars a year. By comparison, our Milky Way galaxy spawns just about one new star each year.
The Phoenix cluster is located 5.7 billion light years away in the center of at recently discovered cluster of galaxies that give the brightest X-ray glow astronomers have seen.
It is named not only for the constellation in which it is located, but also for its remarkable properties.
It is by far the biggest creation of stars that astronomers have seen for this type of massive galaxies that are in the center of clusters.
Other types of galaxies, such as colliding galaxies, can produce even more stars, astronomers said.
However, this is the size, type and age of galaxy that shouldn`t be producing stars at such a rapid pace, said the authors of a study published in the journal `Nature`.
"While galaxies at the center of most clusters may have been dormant for billions of years, the central galaxy in this cluster seems to have come back to life with a new burst of star formation," said Michael McDonald, said Michael McDonald of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in the US.
"The mythology of the Phoenix, a bird rising from the dead, is a great way to describe this revived object." said McDonald who is also the lead author of the study.
Because of that back-to-life situation, the team of 85 astronomers has nicknamed the galaxy cluster `Phoenix`, after the bird that rises from the ashes.
The galaxy that is producing the stars at a rate of two per day is in the center of the cluster and is the biggest and most prominent of many galaxies there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news