`Supermoon 2013`: Don`t miss the biggest, fullest and brightest moon on Sunday
Washington: Stargazers and amateur astronomers will get a rare chance to view a special supermoon this weekend.
The largest full moon this year, also known as the supermoon, will brighten the night sky this weekend.
On Sunday, at 7 am EDT, the moon will reach perigee - the point closest to earth in its orbit, a distance of 221,824 miles.
During Sunday`s phenomenon, the moon will seem about 12.2 percent larger than it will look on January 16, 2014, when it will be at its farthest from the Earth during its apogee, Fox News reported.
The word “supermoon” was first used 30 years ago by astrologer Richard Nolle, but has only come into popular usage since 2011
Additionally, the near coincidence of Sunday`s full moon with perigee will also result in a dramatically large range of high and low ocean tides.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof