`Telling aliens where we are is not the smartest thing to do`
Beijing: Nobel laureate Brian P Schmidt has warned that any encounter with aliens may not be a happy one and it would be unwise for human beings to tell them where we are.
"I think it is probably not the smartest thing to tell the aliens where we are, as any encounter with aliens may not be a happy one," said Schmidt at the 28th General Assembly of the International Astronomical Union being held here.
"Aliens may not be something that we need to worry about. It will be so far away and it takes so long to travel from point A to point B in the universe that it won`t be a problem.
But it will happen when it happens," said Schmidt, who shared the 2011 Nobel Prize in physics with Saul Perlmutter and Adam Riess for providing evidence that the expansion of the universe is accelerating.
Before their discovery, it was commonly thought that the expansion of the universe was slowing down.
However, their findings show that dark energy pushes every galaxy apart and the universe will continue to expand at a quicker pace and eventually fade away.
According to his research, it will be harder to reach another planet in an accelerating universe, meaning it is less likely to meet higher intelligent extraterrestrial life in the future.
"The future of the universe seems to be dark. Things are getting faster and faster. In terms of looking for aliens, it`s gonna be quite a challenge. It may never happen. Things like us are probably very rare in the universe," he was quoted as saying by China`s official Xinhua news agency.
In 2010, Stephen Hawking, one of world`s most famous theoretical physicists, said humans should be extremely cautious of extraterrestrial life and attempts to make contact with alien races is "a little too risky."
Schmidt agrees with Hawking and said humans have more things to worry about.
"The reality is that the sun is going to give out on us in about 4 billion years, and is becoming very hot. So in the future about 800 million years from now we need to figure out how to deal with that first."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested