‘Tibetan observatory to be best in Asia’
Lhasa: An observatory under construction in Tibet is expected to become the best astronomical observatory in Asia, International Astronomical Union (IAU) President Norio Kaifu said.
The observatory, based in Ngari prefecture, is located in an ideal place for astronomical monitoring due to its high altitude, transparent atmosphere and mild weather, Xinhua quoted Kaifu as saying.
The Ngari observatory, perched at an altitude of 5,100 meters above sea level, can compete with Hawaii`s Mauna Kea Observatories, the world`s largest observatory for optical, infrared and submillimeter astronomy, he said.
The Ngari observatory, the first observatory built above 5,000 meters in the northern hemisphere, will also help to promote cooperation among Asian astronomers, he said.
The observatory, built with a total investment of $4.87 million, is expected to be completed within 10 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Revealed! Why 'Baahubali' didn’t feature a Bollywood star-cast!
- Top 5 ways to deal with mid-life crisis!
- Allahabad HC declines to entertain PIL to restrain media coverage of Kairana incident
- Despite tough training, we'll continue our Ramadan fast: Misbah-ul-Haq tells Mickey Arthur
- Shah Rukh, Ranbir, Abhishek and Amitabh clicked together at Pro Kabaddi League! Pics inside