‘Tibetan observatory to be best in Asia’
Lhasa: An observatory under construction in Tibet is expected to become the best astronomical observatory in Asia, International Astronomical Union (IAU) President Norio Kaifu said.
The observatory, based in Ngari prefecture, is located in an ideal place for astronomical monitoring due to its high altitude, transparent atmosphere and mild weather, Xinhua quoted Kaifu as saying.
The Ngari observatory, perched at an altitude of 5,100 meters above sea level, can compete with Hawaii`s Mauna Kea Observatories, the world`s largest observatory for optical, infrared and submillimeter astronomy, he said.
The Ngari observatory, the first observatory built above 5,000 meters in the northern hemisphere, will also help to promote cooperation among Asian astronomers, he said.
The observatory, built with a total investment of $4.87 million, is expected to be completed within 10 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Twitter to soon roll out automatic 'Night Mode' UI
- WATCH: 'MGNREGA is live monument of your failures' - When PM Narendra Modi blasted Congress
- IPL 2016: Virat Kohli surprises Royal Challengers Bangalore youngsters with wonderful gifts!
- Honda launches refreshing new 2016 Activa-i at Rs 50,255
- Dalit woman humiliated, labelled 'call girl' at Karnataka CM's public grievance meeting