‘Tibetan observatory to be best in Asia’
Lhasa: An observatory under construction in Tibet is expected to become the best astronomical observatory in Asia, International Astronomical Union (IAU) President Norio Kaifu said.
The observatory, based in Ngari prefecture, is located in an ideal place for astronomical monitoring due to its high altitude, transparent atmosphere and mild weather, Xinhua quoted Kaifu as saying.
The Ngari observatory, perched at an altitude of 5,100 meters above sea level, can compete with Hawaii`s Mauna Kea Observatories, the world`s largest observatory for optical, infrared and submillimeter astronomy, he said.
The Ngari observatory, the first observatory built above 5,000 meters in the northern hemisphere, will also help to promote cooperation among Asian astronomers, he said.
The observatory, built with a total investment of $4.87 million, is expected to be completed within 10 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof