Titan`s building blocks may pre-date Saturn itself
Washington: Researchers have claimed to have found evidence about the building blocks of Saturn`s moon Titan pre-dating the planet itself.
The researchers found that nitrogen in the atmosphere of Saturn`s moon Titan originated in
conditions similar to the cold birthplace of the most ancient comets from the Oort cloud.
The finding has ruled out the possibility that Titan`s building blocks formed within the warm disk of material thought to have surrounded the infant planet Saturn during its formation.
The main implication of this new research is that Titan`s building blocks formed early in the solar system`s history, in the cold disk of gas and dust that formed the Sun. This was also the birthplace of many comets, which retain a primitive, or largely unchanged, composition today.
The paper suggests that information about Titan`s original building blocks is still present in the icy moon`s atmosphere, allowing researchers to test different ideas about how the moon might have formed.
Mandt and colleagues demonstrate that a particular chemical hint as to the origin of Titan`s nitrogen should be essentially the same today as when this moon formed, up to 4.6 billion years ago. That hint is the ratio of one isotope, or form, of nitrogen, called nitrogen-14, to another isotope, called nitrogen-15.
The team finds that our solar system is not old enough for this nitrogen isotope ratio to have changed significantly. This is contrary to what scientists commonly have assumed.
The research was published in the Astrophysical Journal Letters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: All seats declared - BJP emerges as biggest gainer, bags 81 seats; Shiv Sena gets 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Big setback for Shiv Sena as BJP bags 81 seats in BMC
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway