Total lunar eclipse on June 15
Chennai: A total lunar eclipse will be visible in India, weather permitting, in the late hours of June 15.
"The lunar eclipse will be visible in India. It can be seen with naked eyes," P Iyemperumal, Executive Director, Tamil Nadu Science and Technology Centre, Chennai.
"The total lunar eclipse, which will be visible in southern Asia, Africa and Australia, is the first of two lunar eclipses in 2011 and the third of all eclipses to occur throughout the year," said Vijayakumar, a space enthusiast.
The eclipse can be best viewed in the northernmost region of the `entire-eclipse zone` in central Asia, as well as Eastern Europe and northeastern Africa.
The moon will be completely covered by Earth`s shadow from 11.52 pm on June 15 to 2.32 am on June 16.
A partial solar eclipse will also happen on June 2. However it will not be visible in India, Iyemperumal added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’