Traces of clay found in Martian rock tested by Curiosity rover
Melbourne: NASA`s Curiosity rover which is testing Mars rock, has found traces of clay - that points to a watery past.
At a briefing at NASA`s Washington headquarters, NASA scientists have revealed that the rock contains clay minerals that formed in a watery environment - an environment that may be favourable for microscopic organisms, the Daily Telegraph reported.
Curiosity that made a dramatic landing near the Mars equator last August for a two-year mission had already found a hint of the planet`s watery past - an ancient streambed that the six-wheel rover crossed to get to the flat bedrock.
It is the first spacecraft sent to Mars that could collect a sample from deep inside a rock.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you