Traces of life on Martian surface may have been bleached away
London: A Martian meteorite found in Antarctic ice suggests that the surface of the Red Planet is riddled with chemicals related to those used in household bleach.
This supports the idea that carbon-bearing compounds - strong indicators of life - may have been broken down by chemical reactions, suggesting that scientists need to dig deeper into Mars to search for traces of any past inhabitants.
"We`re speculating that you perhaps cannot find organics on the surface of Mars. You have to be below the surface or inside sedimentary rocks," New Scientist quoted Sam Kounaves of Tufts University in Medford, Massachusetts as saying.
Kounaves and colleagues studied a Martian meteorite called EETA 79001, collected in 1979 in Antartica where it fell 12,000 years ago.
When the team cut it open to study the stuff inside, they found a white substance nestled in the meteorite that turned out to contain a form of nitrate, a chemical that some earthly bacteria use as fuel.
By comparing the ratio of isotopes found in it with those on Earth, the team determined it`s Martian not a contaminant, Kounaves told New Scientist at a meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in Boston, Massachusetts, last week.
The team also found small amounts of chloride minerals in the rock, and are confident these are from Mars.
The Phoenix Mars lander had earlier found related compounds called perchlorates, which can also be fuel for microorganisms, in Martian soil.
Chemical reactions can produce perchlorates from chlorides, but an intermediate step is the formation of oxychlorines - a class of highly oxidising chemicals that includes household bleach.
Then ultraviolet light from the sun and cosmic rays can convert perchlorates back into oxychlorines. When these bleaching agents contact even a little bit of water, they will break down any organic compounds present.
The finding suggests that NASA`s Curiosity rover have to drill beneath the Martian surface to find traces of past life.
Good news is Curiosity has brought along a drill.
Although it can only get 6.4 centimetres deep, scientists say it may be enough to find any organics preserved in rocks below, shielded from the oxychlorine-forming processes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'