Transit of Venus tomorrow – Ready Reckoner
New Delhi: Millions of people around the world are waiting excitedly for the Transit of Venus on June 6.
1. Transit of Venus is an extremely rare celestial event that will next occur over a century later in the year 2117 AD.
2. Transit of Venus refers to the passage of Venus directly between the Earth and the Sun.
3. Venus will appear as a black spot gliding across the Sun.
4. The transit will last nearly seven hours to cross the face of the Sun.
5. The entire event is divided into four ‘contacts’ that mark various phases of the transit – 1st phase Ingress Exterior (first contact with Sun), 2nd phase Ingress Interior (when Venus will be silhouetted), 3rd phase Egress Interior (Venus will start to move away), 4th phase Egress Exterior (end of transit).
6. During the transit, Venus will be visible with the naked eye and would appear as a spot about 1/32 the width of the Sun.
7. In India, only the first phase Ingress Exterior would be visible - People in eastern India can witness the event after sunrise for about 5 hours 30 minutes, while those in western side will see it for about 4 hours 30 minutes.
8. The entire event will be visible from north western North America, the western Pacific, northern Asia, Japan, Korea, eastern China, the Philippines, eastern Australia and New Zealand.
9. NASA will broadcast a live webcast of the transit from the Mauna Kea Observatories in Hawaii.
10. Viewing the transit through naked eyes can be dangerous – use certified eye gear/ small telescope for safety.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- OROP issue: With no breakthrough in sight, Army veterans may meet PM Narendra Modi today
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police