Treat for sky gazers as asteroid Juno set for a cameo
New Delhi: A celestial event awaits star
gazers tomorrow night with one of the ancient asteroids
featuring a cameo in the sky.
On September 21, Juno, one of the first discovered
asteroids and the parent of many meteorite showers on the
Earth, will enjoy a cameo in the night sky theatre, and then
it`ll be at opposition, Space Popularization Association of
Communicators and Educators (SPACE) Director C B Devgun said.
"Opposition of a heavenly body is a term used in
positional astronomy to indicate when one celestial object is
on the opposite side of the sky from the sun when viewed from
the Earth," Devgun told.
Juno`s silvery glint near the planet Uranus will be
visible with a pair of binoculars, he added.
The tenth largest asteroid measures about 234 kilometers
in diameter or about one-fifteenth the diameter of the Moon.
The asteroid, which orbits the Sun on a track between
Mars and Jupiter, will be at its brightest on September 21,
when it is zooming around the Sun at about 22 kilometers per
second (49,000 miles per hour), he said.
The extra brightness will come from its position in a
direct line with the Sun and its proximity to Earth, he added.
The celestial phenomenon will be brightest at 13:04,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31