Treat for sky gazers as asteroid Juno set for a cameo
New Delhi: A celestial event awaits star
gazers tomorrow night with one of the ancient asteroids
featuring a cameo in the sky.
On September 21, Juno, one of the first discovered
asteroids and the parent of many meteorite showers on the
Earth, will enjoy a cameo in the night sky theatre, and then
it`ll be at opposition, Space Popularization Association of
Communicators and Educators (SPACE) Director C B Devgun said.
"Opposition of a heavenly body is a term used in
positional astronomy to indicate when one celestial object is
on the opposite side of the sky from the sun when viewed from
the Earth," Devgun told.
Juno`s silvery glint near the planet Uranus will be
visible with a pair of binoculars, he added.
The tenth largest asteroid measures about 234 kilometers
in diameter or about one-fifteenth the diameter of the Moon.
The asteroid, which orbits the Sun on a track between
Mars and Jupiter, will be at its brightest on September 21,
when it is zooming around the Sun at about 22 kilometers per
second (49,000 miles per hour), he said.
The extra brightness will come from its position in a
direct line with the Sun and its proximity to Earth, he added.
The celestial phenomenon will be brightest at 13:04,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH