Twin black holes discovered in ancient star cluster
London: Astronomers have made an unexpected discovery of two black holes inside an ancient cluster of stars in the Milky Way.
The research describes the detection of two black holes that are about 10 to 20 times heavier than our Sun in the globular cluster named M22.
Black holes, so dense that even light can’t escape them, are what is left when a massive star reaches the end of its life and collapses in on itself.
Dr. James Miller-Jones, co-author from the Curtin University node of the International Center for Radio Astronomy Research (ICRAR), said the discovery of two black holes in the same cluster was a complete surprise.
All the theory up to now says that should not happen in a globular cluster that is 12 billion years old.
“The study was originally searching for just one larger black hole within the cluster of hundreds of thousands of stars which, when viewed from the naked eye, resembles a hazy round ‘puff’ of light,” Miller-Jones said.
“Simulations of how globular clusters evolve show many black holes are created early in a cluster’s history.
“The many black holes then sink towards the middle of the cluster where they begin a chaotic dance leading to most being thrown out of the cluster until only one surviving black hole remains.
“We were searching for one large black hole in the middle of the cluster, but instead found two smaller black holes a little way out from the centre, which means all the theory and simulations need refinement,” he said.
According to Miller-Jones, the newly discovered black holes are the first to be found in a globular cluster in our galaxy. M22 is about 10,000 light-years from Earth but can be seen clearly with a backyard telescope.
“M22 may contain as many as 100 black holes but we can’t detect them unless they’re actively feeding on nearby stars,” he said.
“We plan to do further study to pin down the properties of the two we’ve already found,” he added.
The study has been recently published in the journal Nature.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next