UFO, plane crash, start of war? Russians thought it all
Moscow: Around half of the people in a Russian city hit by falling fragments from a meteorite saw the celestial visitor streak across the sky, but only a small number correctly identified it, an opinion poll said Friday.
Some people believed they were witnessing a plummeting plane, a military attack, or a UFO, said the poll by the Moscow-based Public Opinion Foundation (or FOM).
Chunks of rock and the shock wave from a massive flaming meteorite injured more than 1,500 people and damaged thousands of buildings in the Urals city of Chelyabinsk Feb 15.
The poll found that 47 percent of the people of Chelyabinsk, with a population of around one million, saw the meteorite with their own eyes.
Of those who saw the meteorite`s spectacular arrival, 10 percent correctly guessed what they were seeing, the pollster found.
Forty percent believed it was a falling plane, while eight percent thought it was a rocket launch gone wrong.
Six percent believed it was an explosion of some kind, while five percent believed the city was under attack by rocket fire.
Five percent also believed it was the start of a war.
Four percent thought it was a UFO, while just one percent believed it was the end of the world.
Twenty-six percent of respondents said the event had changed their outlook on life.
The majority believed the meteorite zoomed across Chelyabinsk entirely at random, but 14 percent believed it was no coincidence.
The telephone survey was carried out among 500 respondents Feb 23-24.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy