UFO, plane crash, start of war? Russians thought it all
Moscow: Around half of the people in a Russian city hit by falling fragments from a meteorite saw the celestial visitor streak across the sky, but only a small number correctly identified it, an opinion poll said Friday.
Some people believed they were witnessing a plummeting plane, a military attack, or a UFO, said the poll by the Moscow-based Public Opinion Foundation (or FOM).
Chunks of rock and the shock wave from a massive flaming meteorite injured more than 1,500 people and damaged thousands of buildings in the Urals city of Chelyabinsk Feb 15.
The poll found that 47 percent of the people of Chelyabinsk, with a population of around one million, saw the meteorite with their own eyes.
Of those who saw the meteorite`s spectacular arrival, 10 percent correctly guessed what they were seeing, the pollster found.
Forty percent believed it was a falling plane, while eight percent thought it was a rocket launch gone wrong.
Six percent believed it was an explosion of some kind, while five percent believed the city was under attack by rocket fire.
Five percent also believed it was the start of a war.
Four percent thought it was a UFO, while just one percent believed it was the end of the world.
Twenty-six percent of respondents said the event had changed their outlook on life.
The majority believed the meteorite zoomed across Chelyabinsk entirely at random, but 14 percent believed it was no coincidence.
The telephone survey was carried out among 500 respondents Feb 23-24.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read