UK team to look for universe’s 1st exploding star
London: A team led by a professor of astrophysics from Queen’s University Belfast, is set to go on a five-year mission to hunt for the universe’s first exploding stars, known as supernovae.
Professor Stephen Smartt will head a team of 12 international scientists who will come to Queen’s to begin work on the project next month.
The team hopes to gain an understanding of the origin of chemical elements.
“With this research, we hope to understand how chemical elements were first created in the universe - we think that they were created by the explosions of the most massive stars,” a channel quoted Professor Smartt, director of the Astrophysics Research Centre at Queen’s, as saying.
“The project has an ambitious goal to find the first supernovae that exploded in the universe,” he said.
The research was made possible by a 2.3 million euro European Research Council grant, regarded as the most prestigious research grant in Europe for funding Science and Social Sciences.
“Just recently we have made new discoveries of the brightest supernovae ever found and this grant will build on that success,” Professor Smartt said.
Professor James McElnay, Pro-Vice Chancellor for Research and Postgraduates at Queen’s, said this year, the Nobel Prize in Physics was awarded jointly to two teams “who used exploding stars to map the shape and expansion of the Universe”.
“These pioneering studies of exploding stars, or supernovae, has led astronomers and physicists to develop new technologies for mapping the skies,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark