Ultraviolet starlight key to making water in space
Washington: ESA’s Herschel infrared space observatory has discovered the key ingredient for making water in space— ultraviolet starlight.
And the finding is the only explanation for why a dying star is surrounded by a gigantic cloud of hot water vapour.
When astronomers discovered an unexpected cloud of water vapour around the old star IRC+10216 in 2001, they immediately began searching for the source. Stars like IRC+10216 are known as carbon stars and are thought not to make much water.
Initially they suspected the star’s heat must be evaporating comets or even dwarf planets to produce the water.
Now, Herschel’s PACS and SPIRE instruments have revealed that the secret ingredient is ultraviolet light, because the water is too hot to have come from the destruction of icy celestial bodies.
“This is a good example of how better instruments can change our picture completely,” said Leen Decin, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, the lead author of the paper about this work.
The superb sensitivity of Herschel’s instruments has revealed that the water around IRC+10216 varies in temperature from about –200 degrees centigrade to 800 degrees centigrade, which indicates that it is being formed much closer to the star than comets can stably exist.
Observations had already revealed the clumpy structure in the dusty envelope around IRC+10216.
The Herschel water detection made the astronomers realise that ultraviolet light from surrounding stars could reach deep into the envelope between the clumps and break up molecules such as carbon monoxide and silicon monoxide, releasing oxygen atoms.
The oxygen atoms then attach themselves to hydrogen molecules, forming water.
“This is the only mechanism that explains the full range of the water’s temperature,” said Decin.
The closer to the star the water is formed, the hotter it will be.
Decin and her colleagues now plan to extend the observations to other carbon stars.
“We are very hopeful that Herschel will find the same situations around those stars too,” she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview