Universe’s mysterious flux arises from exploding stars
Stockholm: A team of scientists has established that a mysterious flux of particles in the Universe originates from exploding stars, rather than being proof of dark matter.
Several independent studies recently discovered a mysterious flux of electrons and positrons in the universe. Several theories were presented that suggested that these particles arise from the decay of “dark matter” - the hypothetical material that is believed to influence the rotation of galaxies.
Dark matter is one of the most challenging questions in astrophysics.
An international research group with members from the University of Gothenburg, Sweden, has now published new results showing that the mysterious flux actually arises from exploding stars.
Julia Becker, from the Department of Physics at the University of Gothenburg, and her colleagues show that the mysterious particle flux is the remnant of a supernova, from a star that was 15 times more massive than the sun.
This star died and exploded in the Milky Way.
When a star of this mass dies, most of its material is ejected and ploughs a pathway through a massive, stellar wind.
This wind has been created earlier in the death process, when the star lost part of its original mass.
The wind blows away from the star, and the final definitive explosion of the star then drives new material through the previously established wind.
Electrons and positrons are accelerated during the process and create a shock-wave, similar to that formed when an aeroplane breaks the sound barrier.
Julia Becker and her colleagues show that it is just such a shock-wave that has created the observed particle flux that has astounded scientists.
“This means, I’m afraid, that scientists will have to find another method of identifying dark matter”, said Becker.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31