US launches mystery spacecraft X-37B
Cape Canaveral: A top-secret mini-space shuttle has blasted off from Cape Canaveral in the US.
The Air Force launched the unmanned spacecraft today aboard an Atlas V rocket.
It`s the second flight for this original X-37B spaceplane. It circled the planet for seven months in 2010. A second X-37B spacecraft spent more than a year in orbit.
These mystery machines are about one-quarter the size of NASA`s old space shuttles, and they can land automatically on a runway.
The military isn`t saying much, if anything, about this new secret mission. But one scientific observer, Harvard University`s Jonathan McDowell of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, speculates the spaceplane is carrying sensors designed for spying.
The two previous secret flights were in orbits roughly 200 miles (321 kilometres) high.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad