US mission to colonise alien planet
London: The US military is planning a mission of flying mankind in the next 100 years to an alien planet – which would otherwise take around 70,000 years to reach with current technologies.
The project, called the 100-Year Starship study, will see key decisions taken within the next 12 weeks - such as where to head for, a newspaper reported.
Our own solar system`s inhospitable planets have been ruled out. Alpha Centauri - among the stars closest to us - is a candidate.
America`s Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency is offering a 300,000 pounds prize to scientists who can begin overcoming hurdles such as whether to freeze humans for the mission - or to send embryos that can be “born” when near their new home.
In September a meeting will take place in Florida, U.S, and initial plans will be drawn up for the exploration and colonisation of world beyond the solar system.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Inactivated Polio Vaccine (IPV): A new tool in the fight against polio – Watch to know more about it!
- Planning a trip to USA? Check out top 5 attractions for a family holiday this summer!
- One killed in Sydney mall shooting
- Eva Mendes' brother Carlos loses cancer battle
- Swamy challenges expunging of comments in RS