US mission to colonise alien planet
London: The US military is planning a mission of flying mankind in the next 100 years to an alien planet – which would otherwise take around 70,000 years to reach with current technologies.
The project, called the 100-Year Starship study, will see key decisions taken within the next 12 weeks - such as where to head for, a newspaper reported.
Our own solar system`s inhospitable planets have been ruled out. Alpha Centauri - among the stars closest to us - is a candidate.
America`s Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency is offering a 300,000 pounds prize to scientists who can begin overcoming hurdles such as whether to freeze humans for the mission - or to send embryos that can be “born” when near their new home.
In September a meeting will take place in Florida, U.S, and initial plans will be drawn up for the exploration and colonisation of world beyond the solar system.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Hero launches 17 cycles, price starts Rs 7,000
- Full List: 10 wealthiest countries in the world; India at 7th place
- Father arrested for sexually abusing 2 minor girls
- New global migration map may help fight malaria
- 7th CPC: Committee of Secretaries on Allowances to meet on September 1; invites employees' unions for talks