US mission to colonise alien planet
London: The US military is planning a mission of flying mankind in the next 100 years to an alien planet – which would otherwise take around 70,000 years to reach with current technologies.
The project, called the 100-Year Starship study, will see key decisions taken within the next 12 weeks - such as where to head for, a newspaper reported.
Our own solar system`s inhospitable planets have been ruled out. Alpha Centauri - among the stars closest to us - is a candidate.
America`s Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency is offering a 300,000 pounds prize to scientists who can begin overcoming hurdles such as whether to freeze humans for the mission - or to send embryos that can be “born” when near their new home.
In September a meeting will take place in Florida, U.S, and initial plans will be drawn up for the exploration and colonisation of world beyond the solar system.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray