Use mouse to explore this gigantic moon image
Washington: Are you a moon lover? You can now explore the lunar surface with your mouse in the comfort of your home!
NASA has created the biggest photo ever created of the moon - two metres-per-pixel image - that covers an area equal to more than one-quarter of the US.
If you want a complete printout at standard 300 dots per inch, you need a square sheet of paper wider than a professional US football field and almost as long.
This gigantic interactive image of the lunar north pole can help budding astronomers explore the moon like never before.
Constructed from 10,581 pictures, the mosaic provides enough detail to see textures and subtle shading of the lunar terrain.
The entire image measures 931,070 pixels square - nearly 867 billion pixels in total.
Researchers used additional information about the moon`s topography from Lunar
Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO) as well as gravity information from NASA`s Gravity Recovery and Interior Laboratory (GRAIL) mission.
They used cameras aboard the LRO to create the high-resolution mosaic of our moon’s north polar region.
“This unique image is a tremendous resource for scientists and the public alike,” John Keller, LRO project scientist at NASA`s Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland was quoted as saying in a Daily Mail report.
According to Mark Robinson, principal investigator for the LRO at Arizona State University, “creation of this giant mosaic took four years and a huge team effort”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam