Venus has an ozone layer too
London: An ozone layer high in the Venusian atmosphere has been discovered by a European Space Agency (ESA) probe.
Comparing its properties with those of the equivalent layers on Earth and Mars will help astronomers refine their search for life on other planets.
The space probe, Venus Express, made the discovery while watching stars seen right at the edge of the planet set through its atmosphere.
The ozone -- which has a molecule containing three oxygen atoms -- was detectable because it absorbed some of the ultraviolet rays from the starlight, reports the journal Icarius.
According to computer models, the ozone on Venus is formed when sunlight breaks up carbon dioxide molecules, releasing oxygen atoms, according to an EPA statement.
"This detection gives us an important constraint on understanding the chemistry of Venus` atmosphere," says Franck Montmessin, of the ESA, who led the research.
It may also offer a useful comparison for searching for life on other worlds. Ozone has only previously been detected in the atmospheres of Earth and Mars.
"This ozone detection tells us a lot about the circulation and the chemistry of Venus`s atmosphere" says Håkan Svedhem, ESA project scientist for the Venus Express mission.
The results are being presented at the Joint Meeting of the European Planetary Science Congress and the American Astronomical Society`s Division for Planetary Sciences.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning