Venus has an ozone layer too
London: An ozone layer high in the Venusian atmosphere has been discovered by a European Space Agency (ESA) probe.
Comparing its properties with those of the equivalent layers on Earth and Mars will help astronomers refine their search for life on other planets.
The space probe, Venus Express, made the discovery while watching stars seen right at the edge of the planet set through its atmosphere.
The ozone -- which has a molecule containing three oxygen atoms -- was detectable because it absorbed some of the ultraviolet rays from the starlight, reports the journal Icarius.
According to computer models, the ozone on Venus is formed when sunlight breaks up carbon dioxide molecules, releasing oxygen atoms, according to an EPA statement.
"This detection gives us an important constraint on understanding the chemistry of Venus` atmosphere," says Franck Montmessin, of the ESA, who led the research.
It may also offer a useful comparison for searching for life on other worlds. Ozone has only previously been detected in the atmospheres of Earth and Mars.
"This ozone detection tells us a lot about the circulation and the chemistry of Venus`s atmosphere" says Håkan Svedhem, ESA project scientist for the Venus Express mission.
The results are being presented at the Joint Meeting of the European Planetary Science Congress and the American Astronomical Society`s Division for Planetary Sciences.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Beware! Fake currency notes floating in market this Diwali
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon