Virgin Galactic SpaceShipTwo completes test flight
Washington: Virgin Galactic`s space tourism vehicle, SpaceShipTwo, recorded a new high Friday on its third rocket-powered supersonic test flight.
The passenger-carrying reusable space vehicle departed from Mojave Air and Space Port in California at 7.22 a.m. Pacific Standard Time on its WhiteKnightTwo mothership, which took it to the planned altitude of 14,020 metres (14 km). At the controls were Virgin Galactic pilots Mike Masucci and Mike Alsbury, Xinhua reported.
The WhiteKnightTwo then released the spaceship, whose rocket engine burned for 20 seconds and powered SpaceShipTwo to 21,640 metres (21.6 km), its highest altitude to date, at a maximum speed of Mach 1.4, or 1.4 times the speed of sound.
British billionaire Richard Branson, founder of Virgin Galactic, described the flight as being "flawless" and said it proved "the various systems required to take us safely to space".
"I couldn`t be happier to start the New Year with all the pieces visibly in place for the start of full space flights," Branson said. "2014 will be the year when we will finally put our beautiful spaceship in her natural environment of space."
The SpaceShipTwo is designed to carry two pilots and six passengers on sub-orbital spaceflights. Tickets to ride the spaceship cost $250,000 each.
To date, the company, owned by Branson`s Virgin group and Abu Dhabi`s Aabar Investments PJS, has accepted more than $70 million in deposits from about 580 individuals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part II
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part III
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II
- Father and son cut open a wasp's nest – Watch video to find out what's inside!
- Syrian base used by Russia damaged in IS attack: Report
- Those who don''t gossip could become saints, says Pope
- Mafia don's calls: Maharashtra minister hits back at AAP
- Digvijay Singh seeks judicial probe into fake Batla House encounter