Virgin Galactic`s SpaceShipTwo passes key flight test
New York: A spaceplane built by Richard Branson`s spaceflight company has successfully completed a key flight test that would eventually enable it to carry passengers to space.
After a high-altitude release from the WhiteKnightTwo mothership, SpaceShipTwo was piloted to a smooth runway touchdown, scoring a successful test drop and checking off a number of milestones at the Mojave Air and Space Port in California.
"Today was a big step closer to first powered flight," said George Whitesides, CEO and president of Virgin Galactic, a spaceliner firm backed by British entrepreneur Branson. "We had a variety of systems newly installed on the vehicle," Whitesides said.
"The most important were the components of the rocket system, including all the flight-ready tanks and valves. But we also flew with flight-ready thermal protection materials on the leading edges of the vehicle for the first time," he said.
"We still have a bit more work to do before we will be ready to ignite the rocket, including two more glide flights," Whitesides said. "2013 will be a big year," he said.
SpaceShipTwo landed under "crystal clear Mojave dawn skies," veteran Mojave Air and Space Port tarmac watcher Bill Deaver, told the website.
"It looked like they tried a new, long, high key pattern of one circuit around the field rather than the former, shorter circuit on landing," Whitesides said.
SpaceShipTwo is a hybrid motor-powered vehicle designed to fly six passengers and two pilots to the edge of space, without making a full orbit of Earth.
Commercial operations of the craft will eventually be carried out at New Mexico`s Spaceport America. The price per seat for a SpaceShipTwo space traveler is USD 200,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune