Virgin Galactic`s SpaceShipTwo takes maiden flight
Los Angeles: Virgin Galactic`s SpaceShipTwo rocket plane took its maiden flight Monday passing a crucial milestone as it aims to become the first private sector vehicle to take paying customers into space.
The craft, dubbed VSS Enterprise, took to the air strapped to the wings of its WhiteKnightTwo carrier plane just three months after it was unveiled to the public at the Mojave Desert in California.
Sir Richard Branson`s Virgin Galactic has already signed up more than 300 people who have put down a total $of 45 million in deposits towards tour packages that will allow them to experience the weightlessness of space and see the curvature of the earth. Each ticket will cost around 200,000 dollars.
The planes stayed aloft for 2 hours 54 minutes, achieving an altitude of 13,716 metres, the company said. Virgin Galactic`s business plan calls for building five SpaceShipTwo planes and two WhiteKnightTwo carriers, with options for more.
"Today was a testament to US engineering and innovation," said Branson. "The VSS Enterprise test flight program will continue though 2010 and 2011, progressing from captive carry to independent glide and then powered flight, prior to the start of commercial operations."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read