`Vulcan` leads Pluto`s moon name vote
London: "Vulcan" is leading the contention in a vote to name two of Pluto`s recently discovered moons.
The name has taken more than 100,000 of some 325,000 votes cast in the online poll, the BBC reported.
A new 20-30 km wide moon of Pluto currently called P4 was found in 2011; another of similar size - P5 - was discovered last year.
`Star Trek ` actor William Shatner had previously called on the organisers to add Vulcan and Romulus to the list of names that were in contention.
The organisers accepted Vulcan, but said no to Romulus. Both Romulus and Remus are already in use as names for the moons of the asteroid 87 Silvia.
The poll is being run by the SETI Institute in California and Dr Mark Showalter, who led the scientific team behind the discovery of the Pluto`s two moons.
The team said that they would take the results of the vote into account when they propose their choices to the International Astronomical Union (IAU, which will have the final say on the matter.
Pluto has five moons, three of which already have names: Charon, Hydra and Nix.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder