`Vulcan` leads Pluto`s moon name vote
London: "Vulcan" is leading the contention in a vote to name two of Pluto`s recently discovered moons.
The name has taken more than 100,000 of some 325,000 votes cast in the online poll, the BBC reported.
A new 20-30 km wide moon of Pluto currently called P4 was found in 2011; another of similar size - P5 - was discovered last year.
`Star Trek ` actor William Shatner had previously called on the organisers to add Vulcan and Romulus to the list of names that were in contention.
The organisers accepted Vulcan, but said no to Romulus. Both Romulus and Remus are already in use as names for the moons of the asteroid 87 Silvia.
The poll is being run by the SETI Institute in California and Dr Mark Showalter, who led the scientific team behind the discovery of the Pluto`s two moons.
The team said that they would take the results of the vote into account when they propose their choices to the International Astronomical Union (IAU, which will have the final say on the matter.
Pluto has five moons, three of which already have names: Charon, Hydra and Nix.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- DNA: Heroes of surgical strike receives gallantry award
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion