Want to be part of Mars One? Here`s how
Zee Media Bureau/Shruti Saxena
New Delhi: If you were not around when we first set foot on the Moon, you are certainly here to witness mankind’s next big leap – travel to Mars.
And, this time it is not just about witnessing a history changing event but there’s a chance that you could be on that plane that will head out on a one-way mission to the red planet.
Mars One, a non-profit organisation, claims confidence in making the dream come true as the organisation aspires to settle a permanent colony on Mars by 2023.
Despite the fact that the men and women chosen for the mission will never return back to earth, Mars One has received more than one lakh applications out of which 30,000 are from the US, followed by China, the United Kingdom, Russia, Mexico, Brazil, Canada, Colombia and Argentina.
India is not far behind and nearly 1,800 Indians have too applied for the dream trip.
Countries with no applicants include North Korea, Gabon, Equatorial Guinea and Greenland.
How to apply?
Anyone who is above 18 years of age and are mentally stable can apply for this mission. One has to just visit and submit an online application via apply.mars-one.com. USD 7 is the application fee. The last date to apply online is August 31 2013.
First and foremost, the good news is that you don’t need any particular academic or professional qualification to be selected for the mission.
Mars One has identified 300 geographic regions in the world, out of which 50-100 candidates will be selected by regional reviewers for Round 2.
Following two rounds of interviews, between 28 and 40 candidates will be picked for the mission and will be given adequate training to make them ready for the journey to Mars.
The training will begin in 2015, followed by the launch of two rovers in 2018 and a cargo mission in 2020. The first human flight will be in 2022.
As per Mars one website the company intends to provide settlers with water, food and oxygen by mining resources from Mars’ soil and atmosphere and that all components required to complete the mission can currently be built by existing suppliers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!