Watch: `Dance` of the planets from May 24 to 30
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Astronomy lovers will have another eye-catching pleasure this week as three planets - Venus, Jupiter and Mercury - will come very close to each other in a planetary conjunction.
Called “dance” of the planets, the beautiful cosmic choreography will be seen immediately after sunset, followed by their vertical alignment on May 30 and 31 in the evening sky.
Everyone will have the opportunity to view this rare celestial event, which will be participated by three of our solar systems - Venus, Mercury and Jupiter. The dance will play itself out near the horizon in the West-North part of the sky.
The phenomenon will take place from May 24 to 30 and can be seen with naked eye each night. However, binoculars will be the best tool to observe Jupiter as it makes a remarkable appearance this month. After this event, the planets will slowly move behind the sun and will disappear by nightfall.
The planets Jupiter and Venus and the moon started to group on May 13 in the western part of the night sky. As the date May 23 draws near, the bright planets Jupiter and Venus will be close enough to fall under a binocular field of view. By May 28, they will come very close to each other.
Subsequently, Venus will move in a north-westerly (to the upper right) direction with respect to Jupiter and will be six times as bright as Jupiter.
While the best time to view the conjunction would be 30 to 60 minutes after the sunset, from May 23 to 29, Jupiter, Venus and Mercury will unite to a space of less than 5 degrees.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India