Watch: Spectacular solar show captured by NASA`s Solar Dynamics Observatory
Zee Media Bureau/Salome Phelamei
Washington: NASA`s Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) on Thursday captured a spectacular solar show as the moon slid across the Sun`s fiery disc.
Such events are called lunar transits, rather than eclipses, since they can be only viewed from space.
The celestial light show was captured on Jan 30, 2014, as the moon moved between NASA’s Solar Dynamics Observatory, or SDO, and the sun, giving the observatory a view of a partial solar eclipse from space that lasted two-and-a-half hours.
Lunar transits occur two or three times a year usually lasting for a half hour or so, but Thursday`s one lasted two-and-a-half hours, which is the longest ever recorded.
NASA`s Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO), which was launched on February 11, 2010, from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, will observe the Sun for over five years. The observatory is part of the NASA`s Living With a Star (LWS) program. The goal of the SDO is to understand the Sun`s influence on the Earth and near-Earth space by studying the solar atmosphere on small scales of space and time and in many wavelengths simultaneously.
Click below to watch the lunar transit video taken by NASA`s SDO
Video credit: NASA/SDO/Goddard Space Flight Center
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH