Watch: Spectacular solar show captured by NASA`s Solar Dynamics Observatory
Zee Media Bureau/Salome Phelamei
Washington: NASA`s Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) on Thursday captured a spectacular solar show as the moon slid across the Sun`s fiery disc.
Such events are called lunar transits, rather than eclipses, since they can be only viewed from space.
The celestial light show was captured on Jan 30, 2014, as the moon moved between NASA’s Solar Dynamics Observatory, or SDO, and the sun, giving the observatory a view of a partial solar eclipse from space that lasted two-and-a-half hours.
Lunar transits occur two or three times a year usually lasting for a half hour or so, but Thursday`s one lasted two-and-a-half hours, which is the longest ever recorded.
NASA`s Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO), which was launched on February 11, 2010, from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, will observe the Sun for over five years. The observatory is part of the NASA`s Living With a Star (LWS) program. The goal of the SDO is to understand the Sun`s influence on the Earth and near-Earth space by studying the solar atmosphere on small scales of space and time and in many wavelengths simultaneously.
Click below to watch the lunar transit video taken by NASA`s SDO
Video credit: NASA/SDO/Goddard Space Flight Center
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader