Weather holds up Endeavour`s flight
London: Bad weather is holding up the transfer of the shuttle Endeavour from Florida to California where it will be displayed, NASA said Sunday.
Endeavour, which concluded its final mission last year, was expected to leave Kennedy Space Centre astride a modified Boeing 747 Monday but inclement weather has delayed the departure by a day, added NASA.
When it does make the trip, the shuttle - which flew more than 115 million miles in its two-decade career - will make several stops and flyovers before arriving at Los Angeles` LAX airport on Thursday, the Telegraph reports.
After spending a few weeks at a United Airlines hangar there, the shuttle will be transferred to the California Space Center where it will go on display on October 30.
After the space agency NASA brought an end to the 30-year shuttle programme last year, major US cities battled for the right to house one of the spacecraft.
Endeavour`s trip to Los Angeles is a homecoming of sorts. It was built in Palmdale, north of Los Angeles, as a replacement for the space shuttle Challenger.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai