What makes galaxies keep on producing stars?
Washington: Scientists have tried to study what kept the galaxy going all this while after making stars for the last 8 billion years.
When old stars die, some of their gas goes back into the galactic "soup" for star making. But in the long run a lot of it gets locked up in long-lived dwarf stars.
So the Galaxy needs fresh supplies of gas.
Astronomer think that gas rains in from intergalactic space, probably in the form of "clouds", and that this fuels the star-making.
But there`s a problem. If a regular gas cloud were to hit the warm outer parts of the Galaxy - the halo - the gas would dissipate, and not reach the Galaxy`s starry disk where the party is going on.
Something must hold the gas clouds together on their way to the Galaxy`s digestive system.
CSIRO astronomer Alex Hill and his colleagues think they have the answer.
These researchers have been studying a gas cloud falling into the Galaxy - a big one, called the Smith Cloud, after the woman who discovered it - and have found it has a magnetic field.
The field is weak, about 0.002 percent of the strength of Earth`s.
But the astronomers think it`s strong enough to hold the cloud together, so that it can deliver its payload of gas into the Galaxy`s disk.
The Cloud`s like a coated aspirin tablet that goes through your stomach undigested, then releases its contents when it hits your intestine.
Also known as Smith`s Cloud, it`s one of thousands of high-velocity clouds of hydrogen gas flying around the outskirts of our Galaxy.
Astronomers think their origins are mixed, some stemming from burst "bubbles" in the gas of our Galaxy, some being primordial gas, and some associated with small galaxies our Galaxy`s gravity is shredding from a distance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp