When earth goes red for better health!
New York: In a stunning view, NASA has captured the earth donning the role of Red Planet!
Showing off the most fertile areas of our earth, this image is reminiscent of the `blue marble` image of earth taken by Apollo astronauts earlier.
Taken by NASA`s MErcury Surface, Space ENvironment, GEochemistry, and Ranging (MESSENGER) spacecraft, it shows fertile areas from South America and portions of North America and Africa.
NASA altered the colours in this image to reflect plant growth as healthy plants reflect more infra-red light - indicating a dense and growing foliage that looks red.
The wide-angle MESSENGER camera recorded light at 11 different wavelengths, including visible and infrared light.
Infra-red light passes through the atmosphere with relatively little scattering and allows a clearer view.
Apart from getting a clearer image, the substitution reveals more information than natural colour, said a NASA press release.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi to flag-off Mizoram’s first broad-gauge passenger train from Bairabi to Silchar today
- Bodos, ex-militants hail Modi govt for giving ST status to Bodo-Kacharis in Assam's hill districts
- South Korean navy fires warning shots after North incursion
- Trump lays claim to Republican presidential nomination
- Rights activist Trupti Desai alleges attack by goons in Nashik, hospitalised