Why disk galaxies eventually look similar
Washington: An astronomer has said that all kinds of flat, disk galaxies grow out of their irregular, clumped appearance and their older stars take the same smooth look, while predictably fading from a bright center to a dim edge.
Curtis Struck, a professor of physics and astronomy, Iowa State University, said that a few explanations have been proposed, but most of those only covered certain types of galaxies.
To find out an explanation for the phenomenon, Struck and Bruce Elmegreen , a research scientist at IBM`s Thomas J. Watson Research Center in Yorktown Heights, N.Y., built computer models simulating galaxy evolution.
Struck said that they thought that the clumpy structure of young galaxy disks may be responsible for both its own erasure and the smooth universal brightness profile.
He said that the models showed that`s the case and that the gravity of those clumps of interstellar gases and new stars alter the orbits of nearby stars.
Struck asserted that in some cases, the changes are significant, scattering stars well away from their original and nearly circular orbits and over time, the scattering from circular to slightly elliptical orbits produces the smooth fade in brightness from the center of a galaxy to its edge.
He said that the process takes a few hundred million years to a few billion years.
The findings have been published online by The Astrophysical Journal Letters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble