Why disk galaxies eventually look similar
Washington: An astronomer has said that all kinds of flat, disk galaxies grow out of their irregular, clumped appearance and their older stars take the same smooth look, while predictably fading from a bright center to a dim edge.
Curtis Struck, a professor of physics and astronomy, Iowa State University, said that a few explanations have been proposed, but most of those only covered certain types of galaxies.
To find out an explanation for the phenomenon, Struck and Bruce Elmegreen , a research scientist at IBM`s Thomas J. Watson Research Center in Yorktown Heights, N.Y., built computer models simulating galaxy evolution.
Struck said that they thought that the clumpy structure of young galaxy disks may be responsible for both its own erasure and the smooth universal brightness profile.
He said that the models showed that`s the case and that the gravity of those clumps of interstellar gases and new stars alter the orbits of nearby stars.
Struck asserted that in some cases, the changes are significant, scattering stars well away from their original and nearly circular orbits and over time, the scattering from circular to slightly elliptical orbits produces the smooth fade in brightness from the center of a galaxy to its edge.
He said that the process takes a few hundred million years to a few billion years.
The findings have been published online by The Astrophysical Journal Letters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!