Why sun`s atmosphere is hotter than its surface revealed
Washington: NASA has recently gathered information that could explain the mystery relating to why sun`s atmosphere is hotter than its surface.
The new observations came from just six minutes worth of data from one of NASA`s least expensive type of missions, a sounding rocket, EUNIS (Extreme Ultraviolet Normal Incidence Spectrograph) mission, launched on April 23, 2013, which gathers a new snapshot of data every 1.3 seconds to track the properties of material over a wide range of temperatures in the complex solar atmosphere.
The new observations of the small-scale extremely hot temperatures are consistent with only one current theory: something called nanoflares - a constant peppering of impulsive bursts of heating, none of which could be individually detected provide the mysterious extra heat.
The sun`s visible surface, called the photosphere, was around 6,000 Kelvins, while the corona regularly reaches a temperature was 300 times as hot.
There are a variety of theories for what mechanisms power the impulsive bursts of heat, the nanoflares. Moreover, other explanations have been offered for what could be heating the corona. Scientists would continue to explore these ideas further, gathering additional observations as their tools and instruments improve. However, no other theory predicted material of this temperature in the corona, so this was a strong piece of evidence in favor of the nanoflare theory.
The study is published in the Astrophysical Journal.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Islamic State 'poster girl' beaten to death by jihadists