Will colonise Mars after 100 yrs: Hawking
London: Professor Stephen Hawking, who has decoded some of the greatest mysteries of the universe, predicted that humans will colonise Mars – but not for at least a century.
The physicist said it is ‘essential’ for man to spread across the galaxy in case Earth is destroyed suggesting that it was ‘almost certain’ that a disaster ‘such as nuclear war or global warming’ would obliterate the planet within a thousand years.
“It is essential that we colonise space. I believe that we will eventually establish self-sustaining colonies on Mars and other bodies in the solar system, but not within the next 100 years,” the Daily Mail quoted Professor Hawking as telling BBC Radio 4’s Today programme on the eve of his 70th birthday.
“I am optimistic that progress in science and technology will eventually enable humans to spread beyond the solar system and into the far reaches of the universe,” he added.
Professor Hawking also gave his views on the recent CERN claims that neutrinos can travel faster than the speed of light, saying that he didn’t believe the results of its experiments.
However, he does believe in the possibility of multiple universes.
“Our best bet for a theory of everything is M-theory. One prediction of M-theory is that there are many different universes, with different values for the physical constants,” he said.
He further claimed that finding intelligent life elsewhere in the universe would be ‘the biggest scientific discovery ever’.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents