Wonder elevator to make space travel lot cheaper
Toronto: Talks of space elevators may be doing the rounds for some time but a Canadian entrepreneur has now unveiled design of the world`s first space elevator that could make space journeys a lot cheaper.
"Space elevator would make travelling cost effective by giving its owners 90 percent cost advantages over conventional rockets," said Nofel Izz, the man behind the design.
The "Telescopic Expo Shell" is a semi-hollow and cylindrical structure that consists of a telescopic tower that would be propelled by an "inner shaft" - chained cylindrical bits that lock in to form a shaft - a hydraulic system and rain-powered cable structures that would work in tandem to provide support.
"The base of this tower can also be positioned on water," Izz, who earlier launched his invention OMASK - a light weight portable safety breathing apparatus - explained.
Sharing details on how the space elevator could be built, the spirited entrepreneur, who is also a singer, added: "The space elevator could be constructed using materials such as titanium alloys that are currently being used in the aviation industry."
That would provide the structure immense strength to weight ratio, Izz added.
The space elevator would reach heights of 160 km into LEO (Lower Earth Orbit) when fully extended.
Izz said the first nation to successfully build the space elevator would dominate space travel in future, adding: "My design is more realistic and can be realised in the near future."
"I will soon get it endorsed from the Canadian Space Agency," he informed.
Explaining the significance of his earlier invention OMASK, Izz said it is a light weight portable safety breathing apparatus that allows the passengers of a vehicle to escape when submerged in water by providing oxygen-rich air in a mask.
The mask is waterproof/airtight and could also be a life-saving apparatus in possible natural disasters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened