World’s first-ever Moon’s South Pole mission in 2016?
Zee Media Bureau
Kamuela, Hawaii and Silicon Valley: In a first of its kind, two private companies plan to put a telescope called International Lunar Observatory (ILO) atop a lunar mountain as early as 2016, with an aim to help the humankind understand the astrophysics better.
The plan, which is being spearheaded by the International Lunar Observatory Association (ILOA), a non-profit organisation and a start-up called Moon Express, will be the world’s first-ever mission to the moon’s south pole. If all goes well with the plan, it will enable public to access the images from the moon online.
The companies plan on installing a two-metre radio antenna along with a smaller optical telescope on the elevated rim of a crater called Malapert. From this point, both telescopes will get a clear view of our galaxy and won’t be subjected to our atmosphere’s hazy interference.
The location will also not pick up any radio or electromagnetic noise created by human civilisation.
Moon Express CEO Dr. Robert Richards said: “The mission will provide a historic landing in an unexplored region of the Moon that may harbor some of the greatest resource deposits in the solar system.”
The project if carried out successfully, International Lunar Observatory (ILO) will be the first private space telescope to operate from the lunar surface where it will be available through internet to researchers, educators and general public.
It is hoped that the images taken by the observatory would be clearer than anything taken on earth or even in space, creating a new model of `citizen science`.
The mission would cost the companies somewhere around $100 million, where it hopes to get some fund from the national space agencies and astronomical centres.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- When Indrani Mukerjea broke down on meeting her daughter Vidhie