Goa CM asks police to probe Margao blast case from all angles
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Wednesday, October 21, 2009, 22:11
  
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Digamber Kamat on Wednesday said he has asked police to probe all the possible angles in Margao blast case including an attempt on his own life.

"Police will probe the blast from all the angles including attempt on my life. It is a fact that I was present on the stage in close distance from the blast where I was attending the function along with BJP MLA Damodar Naik and 5,000 others," Kamat said replying to a question.

The Congress earlier had demanded that police should also probe whether the October 16 Margao blast was an attempt on the life of the Chief Minister.

Kamat said Goa police is taking help of various agencies including their Maharashtra and Karnataka counterparts to probe the blast.

The Chief Minister, who briefed the press after attending the state Cabinet, said that the Cabinet was of the opinion that the blast case should be handled by police in a professional manner. "If required, they should take help from other counterparts to go to the root of the case," he said.

The blast on Diwali eve had killed two accused, who were reportedly carrying the explosives on a scooter, which exploded in a busy lane of Margao town. Police had diffused three more bombs, two in Margao and one at 20 kms away in Sancoale village, within half-an-hour duration.

Responding to the question on state's delay to form anti-terrorist squad, Kamat said the state government is exploring the possibility of forming an ATS. "We need to study certain aspects like staff and other requirements for the squad," he said.

Later, addressing a press conference, Superintendent of Police Atmaram Deshpande said that the state police have submitted a proposal to the government in December last year.

"Special cell is a specialized agency and no doubt it would have helped us. But currently, SIT is formed which is doing an excellent job," the SP said replying to a question.

He conceded that the death of second accused in the Margao blast case was 'a sort of setback to the investigations.

Bureau Report


First Published: Wednesday, October 21, 2009, 22:11


comments powered by Disqus