"I visited Amethi and met the women injured in the baton charge by police. I saw their medical reports," Neeva Konwar, a member of the NCW, told reporters in Lucknow after returning from Amethi.
The police allegedly broke into the houses of some residents of Amethi on July 13 after they staged a noisy protest against the deteriorating power supply in the town.
"The police broke into the houses of innocent people, misbehaved with female members and even baton charged them before taking away the male members," Konwar alleged.
"Taking suo motto cognizance of the incident, we sought a report from the district administration," she added.
However, District Magistrate Santosh K Srivastava denied there had been any atrocities.
"But I met the victims and their wounds reveal the truth," Konwar said.
Lucknow: The National Commission for Women (NCW) on Friday said it will submit within a week a report on the police attack on women in Uttar Pradesh's Amethi town.
First Published: Friday, July 31, 2009, 15:23