No change in poll schedule in Naxal-hit areas: Maha Home Min
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Friday, October 09, 2009, 19:21
  
Nagpur: Maharashtra Home Minister Jayant Patil on Friday ruled out any change in the election schedule in Naxal-affected areas in the aftermath of yesterday's killing of 17 policemen in an encounter with Maoist rebels in Gadchiroli district.

"There will be no rescheduling of the polls in Naxal-hit areas," Patil, who earlier in the day visited Gadchiroli to pay homage to the slain policemen, said.

The minister said 35 companies of para military forces had been deployed in the Naxal-infested areas to assist the local police in ensuring peace during the October 13 polls.

Dismissing charges of "deliberate delay" in reaching reinforcements to the scene of encounter at Laheri, Patil said obstacles were put in the way by Naxalites who placed felled trees and logs to block the movement of rescue teams.

Patil, who was accompanied by Minister of State for Home Nitin Raut, said the state government will pay compensation to the family of the slain policemen as per the new policy post 26/11.

Though he did not quantify the compensation, the legal heirs of security personnel martyred in the 26/11 terror strike were given Rs 25 lakh besides petrol pumps or LPG dealerships.

Bureau Report


First Published: Friday, October 09, 2009, 19:21


comments powered by Disqus