Replying to Shyam Dev Roychaudhary (BJP), Parliamentary
Affairs Minister, Lalji Verma, told the Assembly that high
alert had been sounded in the state.
To supplementaries by Om Prakash Singh (BJP) and Pramod
Tewari (Cong) whether the state has got any specific input
from the Centre with regard to Kanpur, the minister said there
had been "verbal input" yesterday.
He said even before the warning, the ADG law and order
had reviewed the security of the industrial town and alerted
the security agencies.
The specific alert followed reports that US LeT suspect
David Headly had visited Kanpur besides Pune, where a blast
killed nine persons on last Saturday.
Radhey Mohan Agarwal (BJP) countered the minister citing
a letter from the Government of India saying that the state
had been informed that Kanpur would be a possible terror
target, considering its status as an industry hub.
Lucknow: In the wake of Centre's specific
warning of terror strike in Kanpur after the Pune blast, the
Uttar Pradesh government on Monday said security agencies were put
on high alert to avert any attack.
First Published: Monday, February 15, 2010, 22:41