Two of 14 chargesheeted Maoists innocent, admits police
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Wednesday, February 17, 2010, 22:45
  
Jamshedpur: Jharkhand police on Wednesday admitted that two of the 14 chargesheeted Maoists were innocent and falsely implicated, four days after the ultras demanded their release after abducting Dalbhumgarh BDO Prasant Kumar Layek.

"After interrogating about 10-12 arrested persons in Ghatsila sub-divisional jail today, two persons -- Jasmi Mardi and her father Bahadur Mardi -- were found innocent. They had been falsely implicated by Jasmi's husband Ramrai Hembram, a police constable," Zonal IG Rezi Dung Dung told a news conference at Ghatsila.

Dung Dung said he had met 10-12 chargesheeted Maoists and about four to five cases, including Mardis', were needed to be re-investigated.

The case of the Mardis was clearly intentional and negligence on the part of police, he said.

After receiving directive from the Home department, the police moved the court praying to allow reinvestigation against Ashwini Murmu, Lusa Baske, Arjun Soren and Sukra Munda.

Police have procured court permission under section 173(8) CrPC for reinvestigation of the cases, he said.

Actions have been initiated to meet the demands of the Maoists and so they should set free Layek, the officer said. Referring to Jasmi Mardi's case, the IG said Hembram, her husband, had implicated the two after his move to remarry was opposed.

The Maoists have also demanded the withdrawal of forces and stopping search operation in Ghorabandha police station area for the release of Layek.

PTI


First Published: Wednesday, February 17, 2010, 22:45


comments powered by Disqus