Supreme Court adjourns bail plea of rape accused Asaram Bapu till October 24
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday adjourned the bail plea of self-styled godman Asaram Bapu till October 24.
A medical board of All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) had on October 3 told the apex court that the health condition of Asaram Bapu was stable.
Asaram, who was accused of rape, had refused to undergo several tests. The seven-member board also said in its report filed before the bench of Justices A.K. Sikri and N.V. Ramana.
On August 11, the top court had denied interim bail to Asaram in a rape case and directed AIIMS to set up a medical board to ascertain his health condition before taking up his regular bail plea.
The Rajasthan High Court had earlier rejected Asaram's bail plea citing that the case had reached its "fag end" and thus it was not "appropriate" to grant him bail.This was his ninth regular bail application to be rejected.
In 2013, a minor girl had alleged that Asaram had sexually assaulted her at his ashram in Jodhpur.
The self-styled godman was subsequently arrested on August 31, 2013, and has been in jail since then.Asaram`s counsel had sought bail citing that the accused has been suffering several ailments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!
- Vodafone launches unlimited free voice calling offer for prepaid customers