Swu's death will not hamper peace talks: Nagaland CM

"The vacuum created by Swu's death will be difficult to fill but someone has to occupy the (NSCN(IM) chairman's post," Nagaland CM said.

Kohima: Nagaland Chief Minister T R Zeliang on Thursday said the ongoing peace talks with NSCN(IM) will not be hampered by the death of its chairman Isak Chishi Swu.

"We are sad after the death of Swu, but the talks are continuing and they (NSCN(IM) and the Centre) are going to have another round of (peace) talks in the next two-three days. It will not be hampered," Zeliang said.

"The vacuum created by Swu's death will be difficult to fill but someone has to occupy the (NSCN(IM) chairman's post. The talks will not be hampered and the solution cannot be disturbed," he said.

Chishi died in New Delhi on June 28 following multi-organ failure.

Zeliang said the Parliamentary working committee as part of Nagaland Legislators Forum on Naga political issue will soon be leaving for Delhi to meet Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

On the extension of Disturbed Area Act (DAA) for another six months in the state, he said the Cabinet has decided to write to the Union Home Ministry and PM to withdraw it as the present situation in Nagaland is "very peaceful".

"Our contention is when the state is peaceful, people are happy and all the underground groups, except NSCN(K) have signed the ceasefire and the dialogue is going on for solution why extend DAA?," he said.

On the formation of North East Democratic Alliance (NEDA), the political coalition formed by BJP with non-Congress parties of the region, he said it is a new step forward.

Reacting to criticisms for holding just a two-day assembly session which ended today, Zeliang said the question hour and passing of government bills is the most time consuming for an assembly or Parliament.

But in Nagaland there is no opposition and proceedings are very peaceful and there was no problem consensus, Zeliang claimed that the state assembly is the most peaceful one in the country.

The first day of the session on Tuesday lasted for barely 15 minutes, while on its last day today proceedings went on for just about 34 minutes. However, the shortest session of the state assembly was recorded on March 19 this year - it has lasted for only 13 minutes.