10 killed as heavy rains lash TN
Coimbatore: Flash floods triggered by
heavy rains washed away 10 people in Tamil Nadu`s Tirupur
town, officials said here on Monday.
Intermittent rains lashed the city yesterday.
Three bodies, including that of a six-year-old girl, were
recovered from Noyya river today, the officials said.
Flash floods washed away a couple and their three
children in Poolawari Sukumaran Nagar area yesterday. The
bodies are yet to be recovered.
Two sisters drowned in the overflowing Noyya river, which
inundated several areas, at Sangilipallam, the officials said.
Meanwhile, Chief Minister Jayalalithaa increased the
solatium awarded to next of kin of those killed in rain-
related incidents from Rs one lakh to Rs two lakh.
The government also announced that it will give Rs 1,000
cash to flood victims sheltering at relief centres in addition
to foodgrains, clothes and kerosene.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster