11 held for bid to picket Malayalam daily office
Coimbatore: Eleven activists of a little known
Tamil outfit were arrested when they attempted to picket the
office of a Malayalam daily here on Wednesday protesting Kerala`s
stand on the Mullaperiyar dam issue, police said.
The activists of `Tamil Desiya Munnani` were detained when
they reached near the office of `Malayala Manorama` daily on
the busy Avanashi Road here, they said.
Police have already posted adequate security in and around
the daily office and also other establishments and educational
institutions run by Keralites in the city in the wake of
isolated incidents of violence targeting some shops in other
parts of the state in recent days.
Kerala has been pressing for a new dam to replace the
116-year old Mullaperiyar reservoir citing safety concerns
while Tamil Nadu has opposed the move saying the existing
structure was as good as a new one.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India