11 held for bid to picket Malayalam daily office
Coimbatore: Eleven activists of a little known
Tamil outfit were arrested when they attempted to picket the
office of a Malayalam daily here on Wednesday protesting Kerala`s
stand on the Mullaperiyar dam issue, police said.
The activists of `Tamil Desiya Munnani` were detained when
they reached near the office of `Malayala Manorama` daily on
the busy Avanashi Road here, they said.
Police have already posted adequate security in and around
the daily office and also other establishments and educational
institutions run by Keralites in the city in the wake of
isolated incidents of violence targeting some shops in other
parts of the state in recent days.
Kerala has been pressing for a new dam to replace the
116-year old Mullaperiyar reservoir citing safety concerns
while Tamil Nadu has opposed the move saying the existing
structure was as good as a new one.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?