11 injured as two groups clash over temple dispute
Rajapalayam (TN): Eleven persons, including seven women, were injured in a clash between two groups over offering worship at a Kaliamman temple near here, police said today.
Police said 11 persons belonging to both the groups had been arrested in connection with the clash.
According to police, there was a dispute between the groups over demolishing the temple, which was in a dilapidated condition, and building a new one.
The officials have banned offering worship in the temple, though both groups had been demanding opening of the temple.
In the meanwhile, the family members of one Karuppiah offered worship at the temple to which the other group had objected leading to the clash around midnight yesterday.
The groups attacked each other with stones and clubs, injuring 11 persons. Three houses and some vehicles were damaged in the violence.
The injured had been admitted to a hospital.
DSP Ashokan rushed to the spot and dispersed the clashing groups and arrested eleven persons. Police reinforcement had been sent to the village where the situation was tense.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- Aamir Khan's remarks on intolerance stir controversy; BJP slams, film fraternity split
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'