11 injured as two groups clash over temple dispute
Rajapalayam (TN): Eleven persons, including seven women, were injured in a clash between two groups over offering worship at a Kaliamman temple near here, police said today.
Police said 11 persons belonging to both the groups had been arrested in connection with the clash.
According to police, there was a dispute between the groups over demolishing the temple, which was in a dilapidated condition, and building a new one.
The officials have banned offering worship in the temple, though both groups had been demanding opening of the temple.
In the meanwhile, the family members of one Karuppiah offered worship at the temple to which the other group had objected leading to the clash around midnight yesterday.
The groups attacked each other with stones and clubs, injuring 11 persons. Three houses and some vehicles were damaged in the violence.
The injured had been admitted to a hospital.
DSP Ashokan rushed to the spot and dispersed the clashing groups and arrested eleven persons. Police reinforcement had been sent to the village where the situation was tense.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened