110th birth anniversary of former CM Kamaraj celebrated
Chennai: Veteran Congress leader and former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, the late K Kamaraj, was remembered today across the state on the occasion of his 110th birth anniversary.
Kamaraj is credited with ushering in education revolution in the state by increasing student intake in schools by introducing the revolutionary free noon-meal scheme.
Widely respected across the political spectrum both in the state and national politics, Kamaraj was known for his simplicity in public life.
He was hailed as `Kingmaker` for his role in the ascent of the late Indira Gandhi to the Prime Minister`s post.
Functions were held by the state government, Opposition DMDK and Congress parties seperately across the state in memory of the leader.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened