110th birth anniversary of former CM Kamaraj celebrated
Chennai: Veteran Congress leader and former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, the late K Kamaraj, was remembered today across the state on the occasion of his 110th birth anniversary.
Kamaraj is credited with ushering in education revolution in the state by increasing student intake in schools by introducing the revolutionary free noon-meal scheme.
Widely respected across the political spectrum both in the state and national politics, Kamaraj was known for his simplicity in public life.
He was hailed as `Kingmaker` for his role in the ascent of the late Indira Gandhi to the Prime Minister`s post.
Functions were held by the state government, Opposition DMDK and Congress parties seperately across the state in memory of the leader.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir