110th birth anniversary of former CM Kamaraj celebrated
Chennai: Veteran Congress leader and former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, the late K Kamaraj, was remembered today across the state on the occasion of his 110th birth anniversary.
Kamaraj is credited with ushering in education revolution in the state by increasing student intake in schools by introducing the revolutionary free noon-meal scheme.
Widely respected across the political spectrum both in the state and national politics, Kamaraj was known for his simplicity in public life.
He was hailed as `Kingmaker` for his role in the ascent of the late Indira Gandhi to the Prime Minister`s post.
Functions were held by the state government, Opposition DMDK and Congress parties seperately across the state in memory of the leader.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday